Labour Party Conference 2013: Austerity and the Alternative
Whilst the tide is turning against austerity in Europe, the Coalition Government is still continuing with its devastating programme of cuts in the UK and shows no sign of changing tact.
Austerity has not only failed to solve the economic crisis and create growth but has instead led to stagnation and decline.
This year Class will be holding a fringe meeting at Labour Party Conference where the pitfalls of austerity will be discussed and credible, alternative routes to economic recovery will be promoted.
Come along to join the discussion.
- Chair: Steve Hart - Chair of Class
- Manuel Cortes - General Secretary of TSSA
- Bryan Gould - former MP, author
- Professor Costas Lapavitsas - Professor of Economics at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS)
- Professor Doreen Massey - Professor of Geography and joint editor of Soundings: A Journal of Politics and Culture
- Seumas Milne - Guardian
- Emily Thornberry MP - MP for Islington South and Finsbury and Shadow Attorney General