Mark Serwotka is the general secretary of the Public and Commercial Services union - the UK's largest civil service union, organising members in more than 200 government departments and agencies, and in parts of government transferred to the private sector.
Born in south Wales in 1963, Mark started work at 16 as a clerical officer in what was then the DHSS, and is a passionate defender of public services and the welfare state.
In 2010, PCS published its alternative to austerity, 'There is an alternative: The case against cuts in public spending', and followed it up in 2012 with 'Austerity isn't working: There is an alternative'.
- Vote down May’s EU deal and Demand a General Election (3 Dec 2018)
- The Stakes: Public Services (22 May 2017)
- This government is using the state as a union buster (28 Jan 2015)
- Class Conference 2014: Podcasts (4 Dec 2014)
- Why we are striking (9 Jul 2014)
- Momentum is moving in our direction - bold policies have popular support (5 Nov 2013)